Lucknow: Meena Kumari or ‘The Tragedy Queen‘ ruled many hearts through her beautiful acting and mesmerising voice.
Born on August 1, 1933, Meena ‘The Tragedy Queen’ was one of the most talented actresses who were appreciated by people as well as critics.
On the 85th birth anniversary of the tragedy queen & legendary actress, let us go through some of her lesser known facts:
- She featured in more than 90 films in her career span of 33 years.
- Her popular movies include Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam, Pakeezah, Mere Apne, Aarti, Baiju Bawra, Parineeta, Dil Apna Aur Preet Parai, Foot Path, Dil Ek Mandir and Kaajal.
- One of the finest actors Rajkumar use to forget his dialogues in front of the actress.
- One of her deadliest fans and a beautiful actress Madhubala used to say, “She has the most unique voice. No other heroine has it.”
- Amitabh Bachchan, who is the megastar of Bollywood once said ” No one, not any one, ever spoke dialogues the way Meena Kumari did .. no one .. not anyone to date.. and perhaps never will”.
- Besides being an actress, Meena Kumari was also a poet, singer and a costume designer.
- The actress was obsessed with white colour and used to don white sarees mostly.
- She married to Kamal Arohi going against her parents and when nothing was going well with her husband she became a guzzler.
- Her heavy drinking damaged her liver badly after which she lost her live at the age of 38 on March 31, 1972.