New Delhi/ Indore: Fentanyl, a chemical 50 times more potent than ‘heroin’ and 100 times stronger than ‘morphine’, also known as ‘Doomsday Drug’, has been seized from an illegal laboratory in Indore.
In a major operation the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) with the help of a team of scientists from Defence Research & Development Establishment recovered Nine kgs of this deadly synthetic opioid, fentanyl, that is potent to kill 4-5 million people.
Only 2-mg of this deadly drug is capable of ending someone’s life. This lethal drug can be absorbed by human skin and nasal passage which make it more deadly and potential to be used in chemical warfare.
According to scientists this is highly unlikely to prepare this drug as it requires the kind of expertise which variable only to trained scientists and high-end research laboratories.
This illegal laboratory was run by a local business man and a “US-hating” PhD “scholar chemist”, who is known for his hatred for US. A Mexican national has also been arrested in connection to its manufacturing.
The total value of this seized drug has been estimated around Rs 110 crore. A kg of fentanyl is procured for $6,000 and is sold in US for $1.6 million. US hight street is the heaven for drug smugglers, where this drug is sold as pills mixed with other chemicals.
What has triggered the security concerns of the officials is what if this drug was used in ‘Chemical-warfare’, as it can wipe-off a large number of population in seconds.
Environmental Protection Agency also showed its concern over Fentanyl being used by terrorists. The use of this drug has also been reported by the Russian, Chinese and Israeli armies.
Currently the purpose behind its manufacturing is being probed into.
What is Fentanyl:
- Its use and manufacturing by any private firm is illegal.
- Fentanyl (or fentanil) is an opioid used as a pain medication and is also mixed with other medications for anesthesia.
- Fentanyl is also used as a recreational drug, often mixed with heroin or cocaine.
- It effects are instant and generally last less than an hour or two.
- This deadly drug has been tested as a chemical weapon for several decades.
- Medically, fentanyl is used by injection, as a patch on the skin, as a nasal spray, or in the mouth.