Ratlam: In a tragic incident, a diehard fan of Virat Kohli, who attempted self-immolation on being highly upset due to his favourite cricketer’s dismissal in the first inning of the first Test between India and South Africa, succumbed to his injuries on Tuesday.
The 65-year-old fan, namely Babulal Bairava, was a resident of Ratlam and was alone at his home watching the match, which was being played at the Newlands in Cape Town on Friday last.
The retired railway official got so upset with Virat Kohli’s dismissal that he reportedly poured kerosene and set himself ablaze.
After the neighbours heard his cries, they immediately doused the fire and rushed him to a nearby hospital. He had sustained burn injuries on his head, face and hands.
“The man in his statement accepted that he was too upset with the dismissal of Virat Kohli and set himself ablaze,” Do Batti Police Station Assistant Sub Inspector PS Alawa had said.
The police also confirmed that the man wasn’t drunk at the time when the incident happened.
“During the probe, we found no other reason which could have driven Bairava to this extreme step,” added Alawa.
He passed away a day after India lost the first Test to South Africa by 72 runs, with skipper Virat Kohli scoring 5 and 28 runs in first and second innings respectively.