Washington DC: Breaking a decade old tradition, US President Donald Trump, on Sunday, stated that he would not attend the White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) dinner. Though, he did not give any reason for not attending the dinner.
Trump took to twitter and posted, “I will not be attending the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner this year. Please wish everyone well and have a great evening!”
About WHCA Dinner:
- The tradition started in 1920.
- WHCA dinner is celebrated as a high profile ceremony.
- Many Hollywood celebrities along with the nation’s President mark their presence on this night.
- The night also honours journalism with awards and scholarships.
- The ceremony is scheduled to take place on April 29.
It may be mentioned that, Trump is the second president to break this tradition. Earlier, Ronald Reagan, the then President was unable to attend the dinner in 1981 as he was under treatment.