Lucknow: Expressing his condolences to deceased children in Gorakhpur hospital tragedy, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Saturday blamed the media organisations of producing false reports with incorrect number of deaths.
Yogi, during a press conference here, appealed the media organisations to convey correct figures of the death toll in the BRD Medical College tragedy. He claimed that nine children died on August 7, while 12 on August 8, nine on August 9 and a few more fatalities were recorded on August 11.
“We have constituted a committee to be led by Chief Secretary to inquire the role of oxygen supplier in the incident,” added Yogi.
Condoling the unfortunate deaths, he said, “I was the first person to launch a fight against encephalitis from Gorakhpur,” adding, “I have personally visited the BRD Medical College twice on July 9 and August 9 to ensure that quality medical services are being offered to the patients.”
Yogi also supported Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is facing flak for not uttering a word over the tragedy that has led to the deaths of at least 63 children (unofficial figure) in past few days.
“PM Modi is very concerned about the media reports over the incident. The Centre has assured full support to the state government in dealing with the situation. Union minister JP Nadda and Anupriya Patel have already visited the medical college to take cognizance of the condition,” he said.
The UP CM further said that he had sent UP Health Minister Siddharth Nath Singh to find out the exact figures of death toll and ascertain did the deaths take place due to shortage of oxygen supply. Yogi had also asked him to find out who is responsible for the tragedy.
“The minister had brought the correct stats, while District Magistrate Rajeev Rautela had been asked to launch a magisterial probe tomorrow. Soon the probe report will come,” he said.
What UP Health Minister Siddharth Nath Singh said?
- A total of 23 children have died so far.
- Any issue becomes sensitive even if a single kid dies.
- In August 2014, a total of 567 children had dies in the pediatrics wing. Means 19 deaths were being recorded every day.
- Similarly, a total of 22 deaths were being recorded every day in August 2015.
- In August 2016, 19-20 children died every day in August.
What Minister of State in Health and Family Welfare Ministry Anupriya Patel said?
- The deaths of the children have saddened both the PM and the CM.
- PM especially told me to go to BRD Medical College.
- Our ministers we had just returned from the medical college had joined the emergency meeting called by CM Yogi Adityanath.
- The Centre is ready to provide all the help to the state government.
- Many misleading facts were conveyed to the public, which the CM has clarified today.
- We have also revealed the year-wise exact figures of deaths at BRD Medical College.
- The culprits will surely face stringent action.
- Medical College Principle was found at fault and has been suspended.
- UP government has also been asked to send it report to the Centre.
- I will also prepare my report about the incident and convey it to the PM.