Supreme Court allows sale of Firecrackers with conditions
New Delhi: The supreme Court, On Monday, refused to completely ban the use of firecrackers across the country.
A bench of Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Ashok Bhushan restricted the sale of firecrackers to licensed holders and disallowed websites from selling firecrackers. Any website found doing it would be slapped with a contempt notice.
The Station House officers and local police stations have to make it ensure that the crackers are only burst in the community areas within the permitted time.
What else Supreme Court said:
- It directs Central Pollution Control Board to monitor air quality 7 days before and 7 days after Diwali.
- Only designated community areas in Delhi-NCR identified by Central Pollution Control Board will be allowed for bursting.
- Crackers with reduced emission would only be permitted to be manufactured.
- Sale will happen through licence holders.
- No e-commerce can sell crackers and if they sold will be hauled for contempt.
- Extensive public awareness to be undertaken by government.
- These rules would be applicable to New Year and marriage festivities as well.
- The court also banned stringed and joined firecrackers called ‘Laddi’.
TIMINGS FOR BURSTING CRACKERS:
The timings allowed for bursting firecrackers are from 2000 hours to 2200 hours.
On Christmas and New Year, people can burst firecrackers from 11.55 PM to 12.30 AM.